Below, you will find helpful suggestions for your students
so that they can successfully exchange and gather information whether
verbally or with text. Whatever form they use to communicate, remember
to stress to students these three guidelines for communicating effectively:
- Pre-plan what information you
want to gather and exchange.
- Stick to your topic.
- Use humor sparingly.
1. Tips for Written
Below you will find three pointers that will help your students
communicate effectively with others when using text.
|| Practice These Tips
- Don't use your real name.
- Do not give out personal information such as your last name,
home address, parent's work address, or telephone number.
- Never share a password for an Internet game or chat room.
- Never agree to meet with someone you met in a chat room.
- Notify the teacher and/or parent if you receive an obscene
- Because you can't see or hear the person you are chatting
with, they may be fooling you as to who they really are.
- If someone is being rude to you, ignore them or just log-off
and find something else to do.
- Learn how to use emoticons and acronyms to express your feelings.
||Use Emoticons to Express Feelings
User Wears Glasses
Left Handed Smiley
User Has a Mustache
User Is Wearing a Walkman
User Has Been Staring at the Screen too Long
||Use Acronyms to Express Feelings
|As Far As I Know
By the Way
For Your Information
Hope This Helps
In My Humble Opinion
In My Not So Humble Opinion
In My Opinion
In Other Words
Laughing Out Loud
Rolling On the Floor Laughing
Your Mileage May Vary
2. Tips for Verbal Communication
Here are three resource links that you can use to find valuable
tips to help your students successfully conference verbally.
- 1. Date
and Time Gateway
- This site will help you find out what time it is anywhere
in the world. Find out what time it is where you live, then
follow the link that tells you what time it is in the part of
the country you will be conferencing with.
- 2. Elements
of an Effective Video Conference
- Yvonne Marie Andres gives great pointers that will help you
have a dynamic conference!
- 3. CU-SeeMe
- This bookmark site lists the schools that have registered
with Global Schoolhouse. They offer a secure server that will
guarantee that your conferences will be safe and private.